Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Top Heavy... Try to Make Your Way Through..

Books/ TV/ Movies

The college board has a list of 100 books you should read before heading off to college.

I graduated 4 years ago now, and a good number of these are still outstanding for me. I've listed the ones I've read in Green (47 total). I've added a general opinion on a few of them, but it's my new goal to make it thru this list before the end of the year.

Wish me luck!

Beowulf -too long
Things Fall Apart - hated this book, and everything ever written by Achebe
A Death in the Family
Pride and Prejudice - I think every girl loves this book
Go Tell It on the Mountain
Waiting for Godot
The Adventures of Augie March
Jane Eyre - descriptive
Wuthering Heights - another Bronte novel
The Stranger
Death Comes for the Archbishop - hated it with a passion, read it cause I LOVED Bless Me Ultima
The Canterbury Tales - excellent, but long
The Cherry Orchard
The Awakening
Heart of Darkness
The Last of the Mohican's - read it in 8th grade...12 years ago, whoa.
The Red Badge of Courage
Inferno
Don Quixote
Robinson Crusoe
A Tale of Two Cities - i hate charles dickens, i hate charles dickens, i hate charles dickens...
Crime and Punishment
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass - read for school, he was a slave, yada yada yada
An American Tragedy
The Three Musketeers -eh, Count of Monte Cristo is better... more revenge-y
The Mill on the Floss
Invisible Man
Ralph Waldo Emerson Selected Essays
As I Lay Dying
The Sound and the Fury
Tom Jones
The Great Gatsby - the great American novel ask any AP Englis Teacher...
Madame Bovary
The Good Soldier - read in SEVENTH grade... holy crap...
Wolfgang von Faust
Lord of the Flies
Tess of the d'Urbervilles
The Scarlet Letter - lots of imagery and symbolism
Catch 22
A Farewell to Arms
The Iliad - classic
The Odyssey
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Their Eyes Were Watching God - Simple read, like 5th grade simple, though i read in 7th.
Brave New World
A Doll's House - i think this was on my 9th grade reading list.
The Portrait of a Lady
The Turn of the Screw - read it because it was part of a longer book of compiled short stories
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
The Metamorphosis - i just like the word "Kafkaesque"
The Woman Warrior
To Kill a Mockingbird - this was my favorite book for years, i still make sure I always have a copy on my bookshelf.
The Call of the Wild
The Magic Mountain
One Hundred Years of Solitude - read this a few months ago, loved it, wish i could have read it in Spanish.
Bartleby the Scrivener
Moby Dick
The Crucible
Beloved - not as good as The Bluest Eye, imo

A Good Man is Hard to Find
Long Day's Journey into Night
Animal Farm - talking animals, woo
Doctor Zhivago
The Bell Jar
Edgar Allan Poe Selected Tales - don't know which ones they mean exactly, but i've read The Black Cat, The Cask of Amontillado, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Masque of the Red Death, The Pit and the Pendulum, The Purloined Letter, and of course...The Tell Tale Heart... I think I'm covered.
Swann's Way
The Crying of Lot 49
All Quiet on the Western Front
Cyrano de Bergerac
Call It Sleep
The Catcher in the Rye
Hamlet - i love Shakespeare
Macbeth- i love Shakespeare... double double toil and trouble...
A Midsummer Night's Dream- i love Shakespeare... not as good as Much Ado About Nothing
Romeo and Juliet- i love Shakespeare...do you bite your thumb at me sir?
Pygmalion
Frankenstein
Marmon Ceremony
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
Antigone - better than Oedipus Rex, I think I read this in 6th Grade cause my cousin in high school was reading it.
Oedipus Rex - not as good as Antigone
The Grapes of Wrath - I like Of Mice and Men better
Treasure Island
Uncle Tom's Cabin -totally a school read.
Gulliver's Travels - fun, I feel like a 3rd grader could read this though.
Vanity Fair
Walden
War and Peace
Fathers and Sons
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Amazingly I read BEFORE Tom Sawyer
Candide
Slaughterhouse-Five
The Color Purple
The House of Mirth
Eudora Welty Collected Stories
Leaves of Grass
The Picture of Dorian Gray - read up on the symbolism when you're done, man, it's good.
The Glass Menagerie
To the Lighthouse - I studied this book for the Senior Year AP Exam, I read it over and over and over again. There is no plot. It's an essay in book form. I HATED it. Ugh...
Native Son

From the Foodie in Me
Frito Pie

Apparently Frito Pie is totally a southern thing. I'm not surprised though, most good food is southern.

1 bag of fritos Corn Chips, Plain

1 can of Chili (i like mine without beans)

8 ounces Shredded cheddar cheese

Prepare chili as directed on can. In a casserole dish lay down a layer of chips, then a layer of cheese, then a layer of chili. Repeat. Top with a layer of cheese, bake in the oven on 350, until cheese is melted. Serve. Mmmm, good.

My Addiction To...
Jack in the Box

I don't think I would be as addicted if I could have it more often....
Okay, that's a blatant lie. When I lived in Austin I discovered that is was cheaper for me to eat at Jack in the Box every day, than it was to buy groceries. So I did.
Have you ever been to Jack in the Box? They put Sonic to shame. They have bacon and cheese potato wedges, seasoned curly fries, natural cut fries, jalapeno poppers, egg rolls, TACOS, hamburgers, Italian sandwiches, sourdough burgers, shakes and smoothies, deep fried macaroni bites, sirloin burgers, chicken sandwiches, breakfast served ALL day, teriyaki bowls, salads, pita sandwiches, onion rings, mozzarella sticks... seriously, they have everything! AND they are open 24 hours a day. Not to mention 2 tacos and fries sets me back $2.17. That's it! Way cheaper than groceries...

No comments:

Post a Comment