Monday, April 27, 2009

Three Day Workweek! Woo!

The only thing getting me thru this week is the fact that it's a three day workweek!
I'm headed to Jazzfest this weekend, and I'm super excited about it.
I fly in on Thursday and back home on Sunday. It's going to be a great weekend!
I'm excited to see Bon Jovi, plus Cowboy Mouth is always good in concert. should be a great time all around.


Weekend Recap

Friday

So I was sitting at home bored on Friday night. I hadn't been out of the house in a few days and I was going stir crazy. I didn't want to drink or party either. It was one of those times that I wish I had a car. Well, as luck has it, Sarah has a car, and was also feeling up for some mild shenanigans. I started looking up things online, and we landed on something. Bingo. Literally, we went to go play Bingo.
It was phenomenal. Old ladies with their specially made bingo bags, and bingo setup, chain smoking their way into old age.
The place is an actual Bingo hall in Alexandria, near Landmark Mall. It's dingy, and it smells kinda funny, everything you want from a Bingo hall.
We paid 20 bucks each for about 15 games. The games were each worth $100, except for 2, which were worth $1000. We both agreed if we won the $1000 we would do something totally irresponsible with it.
Alas, luck was not on our side. We walked away not winning anything, but having gained a valuable life experience.

Saturday

I woke up early and decided to head over to Marshall's in search for a new suit. I found a great black Calvin Klein suit AND it was discounted to $70. Not bad for that quality and that brand.
Tamsin picked me up from the mall and we headed to target and sports authority. After our shopping we decided to eat a late lunch. We were about to head to Chili's when I remembered there is an Applebee's in Alexandria. Fernando and I went there one time randomly... like 2 years ago. So we went in search of the Applebee's. Turns out it was a lot further away than I initially thought. We found it though, and had a nice little Saturday.
Saturday night, I again was in search of plans. I decided to rent a zipcar and head to the grocery store for a few items. After my shopping, and my texting a few friends, Craig invited me to El Ranchero with some Elon peeps. I took him up on his offer and hung out for a bit. After dinner I went to Fernando's to hang out.

Sunday

I woke up much later than I normally do, but as Fernando was still sleeping, I showered and sat out on his deck reading Borges (more on that later). It was great. I had about 2 hours to myself just enjoying the nice weather. It made me really want a deck. Once the summer is over I am really going to look into moving into a house. When he awoke we headed to Tysons, grabbed lunch at Fridays and meandered about the mall for a bit.
I love malls. They are awesome.

Books/ TV/ Movies

Labyrinth- Borges
Borges is a fictional writer very much inspired by Kafka. Fernando is a big fan. I read up on his biography and realized I had actually read one of his short stories, "The Library of Babel", in 8th grade. I read a few more over the weekend (while sitting out on the deck). He's an excellent writer. Sort of a surrealist. I've really become entranced with the Spanish novelists. I am not sure if it's the translation of work, but I find that their writings are much richer than that of others. I highly recommend.

The Bourne Identity
Finally watched it. I was a fan, but when it ended I turned to Fernando and said "But aren't their 2 more?"

Around Town

BINGO
ABGC Auditorium Bingo
6200-D Little River Tnpk
Alexandria, VA 22312
Phone: (703) 642-9581
Hotline: (571) 237-5832
http://abgc.org
Playtime: Fri. & Sat. 6 PM-11:30 PM


Rosslyn Indoor Pre-80's Movie Tribute
Uncle Buck
Location: The Dome
1101 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington VA
Time: 6pm
703-522-6628
FREE!!!

From the Foodie in Me

Sopapillas (the Mexican Beignet - but better)

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup water
2 cups vegetable oil for frying

Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Using hands, mix in water to make a smooth dough. Knead lightly on a floured surface. Cut dough into 12 pieces, and shape into round balls. Cover, and set aside.
Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into thin circles. Cut each circle into triangles. Fry in hot oil, until golden brown, turning when dough puffs. Remove, and drain well on paper towels.
Top with either powdered sugar or honey (my fave).

My Pet Peeve
Cops/ Security cops on Segways
Seriously? RUN!!! This is why people make fun of cops eating donuts.

My Addiction To...
New Projects
I find myself bored if I'm not always in motion.
Don't get me wrong, I love a laid back day as much as the next person, but I love being on the go more. I love planning trips, and decorating, having new projects or taking up new crafts. I love being in go mode.

1 comment:

  1. Bingo was a life experience for sure... too fun!!

    ReplyDelete