Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Hump Day! Weee!

Around Town
Cheap Tickets

There are often great theater events around town. I love the theater, but I hate paying the ridiculous prices for the shows (plus that bastard Ticketmaster's "convenience" charge).
I found a website where you can get day of tickets at half price.
Right now Chicago is playing at National Theater and Shear Madness is playing at the Kennedy Center. Feel free to check it out.
www.ticketplace.org

From the Foodie in Me
Steak Kabobs
1 red pepper
1 onion
Beef stew pieces (or like)
Kabob Skewers
Freezer Bag
Italian Dressing
Take a piece of beef (that's what she said) and cut it into cubes. You can use any piece of meat you like. I like the stew pieces because they are often pre cut. Place into freezer bag.
Cut up red pepper and onion into squares, about one inch by one inch. Doesn't have to be perfect. Place into the same freezer bag as the meat.
Pour about a cup of Italian dressing into the bag. Close and shake until everything is covered in dressing. Skewer peppers, onions and meat, alternating.
Broil kabobs on a cookie sheet in the oven on 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Serve.
Yum!
My Addiction to...
Discount Shopping
I refuse to buy things full price. I really think it's a waste of money. It's not the economy, or that I cant afford nice things, I simply hold the point of view that it WILL go on sale at some point.
I'm also not afraid to look online, for staple wardrobe items. For example, I only wear one kind of jean, Levi's 518, super low, boot cut. That's it. I don't even need to try them on, I know what I'm buying. So, I can send my mom shopping in Texas, where things are often cheaper. Or I can look online and buy at a discount store. I don't know how many of you have ever been to a Levi's store, but they rarely put things on sale. It sucks. No reason to pay full price on something you can get cheaper elsewhere.
Plus I have a satisfaction when someone says "I love your blouse!" and I can reply with "It cost me three bucks". Think about it!
Books/ TV/ Movies
The Arlington Central Library
So if you read yesterday's post you notice I am committing to reading 53 books in 9 months.
That's 5.9 books a month. Books are expensive. At an average of $15 a book, I'm looking at a $795 investment. Yeeeeah, I don't have that kind of money for books. So, yesterday, I headed to the Arlington Public Library for the first time. I applied for a library card and checked out Fahrenheit 451, Slaughterhouse Five, and Mill on the Floss. Fahrenheit 451 isn't on my list, but I've been meaning to read it for some time now. I read it last night (it's short, about 200 pages).
I'll post a review tomorrow. I just need to praise the library. It was neat and clean. There was a quiet study room (presumably a nice addition for all those GMU law kids nearby), the children's section is downstairs, and the adult section is upstairs. So no kids running around while you try to check out books or read. There are plenty of computers for public use, also not taken up by screaming children. I found everything I wanted in about five minutes. It was great, plus you can put books on hold online, and also renew books online. I am a huge fan. I think I forgot how much I love libraries (I'm a dork, what can I say). Loyola had a wonderful library, and I don't think I ever fully appreciated it. It was the only thing we had that actually would draw Tulane kids to cross the street. If you haven't visited your local library lately, I can't recommend the Arlington library any more highly.
Politics
Gay Marriage
I'm all for it. Shocker, huh? I am 100% Catholic, too. DC just voted to recognize gay marriages done in other states. Vermont just become the 4th state to declare gay marriage legal.
You maybe asking how can I advocate gay marriage and also be a devout Catholic? Simple, I think government and religion should be completely separate.
I believe the government shouldn't be the institution that grants marriages.
First I ask, Why do people get married? The answer is, so that they may unite themselves in front of God, their family, and friends. I don't see how government plays a roll in that whether in a straight marriage or a gay marriage. Marriage should be left in religion. If your church decides to let gay couples marry, that is between your church and God. However, my opinion is an idealist situation, I realize that. In the mean time, since the government seems intent on forcing its way into our marriages, we have to treat everyone the same. It's what the nation was founded on. Equality. This is our generation's civil rights movement.
So you see, while I don't advocate gay marriage in my church. I am a huge supporter within the government.
Music
Eminem
His new video is out. It's pretty awesome. I am not a music person really. I wish I could say I was. I love 80's, Classical Rock, and Country. Not exactly Bach. I can appreciate a lot of things, but let me put it this way. I'm going to New Orleans for JazzFest and I am most excited about seeing Bon Jovi.
Woo!
Link to Eminem's new video:

No comments:

Post a Comment