Friday, April 3, 2009

Mostly Political Post... You've Been Warned...

Movies/ Books/TV
Going to see Fast & Furious today. I'm super excited about this. I loved the first one. The scene where Vin Diesel picks up his girlfriend by the butt. Man, that's good. Every girl out there knows exactly what scene I'm talking about. That's all I got...

Around Town
Shenson Chamber Music Concert
Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - Friday, April 3, 2009 7:30 PM - 10:00 PM
Location: National Museum of Women in the Arts
Admission: Free, reservations required.
Phone: 202-783-7370
Email: reservations@nmwa.org
http://www.nmwa.org/calendar/detail.asp?eventId=844

I often try to do cheap fun things around town. Enjoy!

Politics
Left v. Right
I majored in political science in college, and it was my deepest desire to be a politician, or a judge... maybe a lawyer. But I KNEW I loved politics and the way our country was founded. I fell in love with the idea that anyone in this country could be anything he or she wanted to be. Where you came from didn't have to have an impact on where you were headed. All that was needed was the right amount of work and dedication.
While I still appreciate, and love, our countries origins I am now jaded. Living in Washington has made me realize that I want no part in politics. I worked in a conservative think tank, and I saw the way things were really done. I no longer call myself a Republican (don't get excited Liberal friends) I don't call myself a Democrat either. I'm not neutral, I have opinions. I now realize this country isn't really a democracy. It's more of an Oligarchy. Rule by a few, rule by the elite. Do you really think there is THAT much difference between the politicians in DC? If so, you're sadly mistaken. All are members of elite families, all belonged to the same secret clubs and societies, it's hardly coincidence.
We as Americans spent the last election worried about which man would be our leader, which man would rule over America, and make the best decisions. In reality we should have been more concerned that we are choosing to be ruled.
The difference between McCain and Obama was nonexistent. We choose to have government infiltrate every aspect of our lives, and are given the illusion that we control our fates. We don't. Our businesses are regulated, our purchases are taxed, our hobbies are monitored, our children are counted. What part of your life isn't effected by the government? Can you name something?
I am a strong believer that taxes should be paid at a federal level for the armed forces, and at the state level for streets and roads. That's it. Free market economy. It's SUPPOSED to be what the country is built on. It isn't anymore.
I, unlike Mrs. Obama, have always been proud of my country. People ask what I am and I respond "I'm American". I always have been, I always will be. The fear is that one day American will no longer mean free. We have slowly evolved into a ruled society. Where will it end?

Affirmative Action
People often ask me what my position on affirmative action is.
I am wholly against it.
I take a lot of jokes about my race. As a American-Mexican (you read that right, the American comes first) I have been raised in an environment when I am told I can be anything I want to be. I am told I am just as good as any other race, and any other ethnicity. I take jokes from my white friends about being white, and truth be told, I don't really have many Mexican friends. I take it all though, I try to be a good sport. I realize that I am in a unique position to embrace a my culture, and because I live in this great country, I can still achieve anything I want to achieve.
Until you introduce affirmative action. It's the most insulting thing you can do to someone. Tell them that they are just as good as the next person, then show them that you don't really mean it, but to balance it out, you'll get them into that school on the basis of their skin color. They'll get that job, because they are brown. It isn't fair. I don't want anything as a handout. I feel ashamed for those that do. I don't want anything that I haven't rightfully earned. Admissions should be color blind. Jobs should be too.
Now, I know this isn't the case. I know you can't make people color blind. I know that some people are prejudice. But do you really think by forcing those people to hire and work with people they despise that they will overcome their prejudices? Affirmative action is a flawed idea. you can't say we are all equal, but then act as if we aren't. If I have to work harder to achieve something, so be it. It just means that in the end, I'll be that much prouder of myself for my accomplishments. Don't insult me though. Don't think that I need affirmative action.

From the Foodie in Me
Strawberry Vanilla Pancakes

1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries

These are the best pancakes ever. I usually increase the vanilla to 3 tablespoons, but that might be a bit much for a normal person. the batter is going to look a bit thinner than your normal pancake batter, but the pancakes will fluff right up as soon as they hit the griddle.
You don't even need syrup!

My Addiction To...
The Food Network
Technically this could go under the TV/ Movies/Books section, but I had to give special credit to The Food Network. I spend Saturday's on the sofa just watching show after show. The Barefoot Contessa, Good Eats, Chopped, and my new favorite Challenge. I love to cook, and these shows give me ideas for food that I would like to make... if I ever have a kitchen bigger than a hallway.

No comments:

Post a Comment