Friday, April 17, 2009

Guess Who's Back... Back Again...

I want to apologize for my 2 day hiatus. Apparently my work actually wanted me to work. Not sure what that was all about, but thankfully the boss is in a meeting so I have a bit of time to catch you all up.
Seriously though, not much to tell. I've been so busy working that I haven't had a chance to do much else these past few days.

Around Town
GO OUTSIDE!
It's going to be a beautiful 78 degrees on Saturday, the warmest day we have seen so far this year. I highly recommend getting out of your house and spending the day outside.
Try Theodore Roosevelt Island if you haven't been . It's a secret gem of the metroplex. If you don't have a car, then the Jefferson Memorial is a great place to walk around. There are fewer tourists, but it's a great scenic view.

My Pet Peeve
People who say "oh" instead of "zero" when giving you a list of numbers. "O" is a letter. "Zero" is a number. Get it right people. It's an extra syllable. Don't be lazy.

From the Foodie in Me
There is this place that I escaped to yesterday. Elevation Burger. It's in Falls Church in the same shopping complex that the Harris Teeter is in off of Lee Hwy.
It's all organic food. I was impressed with the burger and I loved the fries, but the thing that will keep me coming back is the shakes. I had a vanilla ice cream shake with oreos and banana. OMG. Delicious. I have to give credit where credit is due. The concoction wasn't my idea, but Lydia's. Way to go Lydia. I won't forget that creation any time soon.

My Addiction To
Old Brunos
I miss it. What can I say. It was my favorite place to hang out in college. I remember the day I decided on it. As an freshman I couldn't even get into Bruno's. It was a 19 and up bar. Although I often convinced Greg to bend the rules for my sorority sisters. My sophomore year I started going to Madigans for Ladies night. I loved Madigans, the drinks were free and the owner/ bartender, Bill, called me cowgirl. Then things started to go wrong Junior Year. I got to the point where I could distinguish a good drink from a bad drink. I also wasn't drinking amaretto sours and sex on the beaches anymore (i cringe to think I ever did). The one day my junior year I was at Madigans for ladies night and I had an epiphany. I would rather pay for my drinks at brunos, than get them for free here.
I think that was the last time I went to madigans. Sure, I would still go to GB's (arguably the same bar) for Tuesday night food specials. But never again madigans for ladies night.
Bruno's became my bar. I would drink there daily after that. I actually have one of the doormen's phone number in my phone and he and I hang out when I go back to town (nothing scandalous, he's married). The point is, I made a lot of friends there. Anne, Britni and I would play pool till the wee hours of the morning. I remember once there was a three day stint where we didn't go. The staff accused us of finding a new bar. We tried to explain we actually were in school, and had papers due, and classes to go to, but they made us promise that we hadn't replaced them.
Another time a sorority sister of mine dropped my name at the front door, and they let her in, even though she was under age. Once, the president of the sorority called my cell and told me she was across the street with all the pledges and they wanted to come in. I got 12 girls in that night, all under 19.
The memories I made there will not soon be forgotten. However, Old Bruno's is now closed. The newest generation only has the new Brunos. I feel bad for them. It's a nice bar, but that's the problem. It's not divvy. There aren't 60 year old men there watching jeopardy at three in the afternoon.
I miss and love Old Brunos.

Books/ TV/ Movies
Slaughterhouse V

Hated it. If your more liberal leaning you might like this book, but I personally believe in war. I wasn't a fan.
Next up, Mill on the Floss, hoping to start and finish this weekend.

Personal Weird Fact of the Day
I don't like colored foods.

Food dye is one of God's mean tricks. It turns your tongue an unnatural color and it completely freaks me out. Blue and green things freak me out the worst.
I have a theory on my irrational fear though.
When I was a little kid, I hated to be sticky. Well my dad played in a baseball league and we would go watch the games. I would play with the other players kids and they were always eating fun dip and Popsicles that were blue and green, and their mouths would be blue and green and their hands and fingers would be blue and green and STICKY. I think I somewhere along the way started associating blue and green things with sticky things.
Yeah, It's crazy, but I'm a girl. I'm allowed a little bit of crazy.

Coming in May...

Jazzfest in New Orleans - super jacked
Crawfish Boil - with the local Loyola Alumni chapter
Outer Banks - for memorial day weekend? this is still a maybe, but i did it last year and would love to make it a tradition. Anyone interested?
Dallas- for my little sister's high school graduation. My mom actually opened a new restaurant location in a gated resort community. As the owner she has access to the vacation rentals... for free. Basically it boils down to me staying in a cabin on the lake for free. I'm excited to not have to sleep on an air mattress (my sister gutted my room of everything relating to me the second I left for college. It's all boxed up, and now I don't have a room when I go "home").

No comments:

Post a Comment