Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Search for the Perfect Rug

I have this old rag rug in my kitchen. It completely clashes with every color scheme I have going. I think I've had it since college. It cost me $2.50 at Walmart, 7 years ago.

Instead of tossing it out, I decided to repurpose it. A few weeks ago I saw a rug tutorial on KoJo Designs.
I wanted to try it and this seemed like the perfect opportunity, though I didn't follow all of her instructions.
I had wanted a new rug for in the kitchen for awhile. I knew that I wanted to incorporate the orange I already had going, but I also wanted to bring in more yellows to soften up the orange.
I found the perfect fabric at JoAnn's, and I KNEW I had to use it for this project.

First thing I did was spray adhesive a thick black piece of fabric to the rug. I did this so that the pattern in the rug wouldn't show through my fabric, and also to make it that much sturdier.
After spray adhesiving the black fabric to the rug I spray adhesived my fabric that I wanted to show to the black fabric. It worked fairly well, though if I were doing it again I would try to find a canvas material that I liked. I just fell in love with my lemon design material, and no other would do.

The I sewed around the edges of the rug to make sure everything stayed right in place. After that you want to scotchguard your rug like scotchguarding is going out of style.

Ta-da! Finished rug!

Finished rug in the new kitchen! I think I may try this again with a bigger rug. Maybe something to go in my bedroom. Next time I'll definitely use canvas material or maybe duckcloth instead of plain cotton.

Let me know if any of you try this!

1 comment:

  1. Will you teach me how to sew a button on? For reals.

    ReplyDelete