Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Designing on a Dime

Yeah, I stole the title from the name of a show on HGTV...

Last week I was reading through the comments section of one of my posts and I came across this:
Becky said...

Since I haven't been into a craft store since 1992 (don't hate me, Tina!), can you tell me how much something like this costs? Just curious... not planning on making any window furnishing any time soon, but you have to know that your stuff always looks like a million bucks :)

First of all, thank you. Second of all, I'm not really sure which Becky made the comment (I know 2 of you!) but regardless, it got me thinking. I don't think I have stressed enough what a cheapskate I am. I really reuse things until they are falling apart. It's really hard for me to throw things away. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a hoarder by any means, but I always like to make sure I have gotten as many uses out of a product as I can.

I am going to start posting how much projects cost me so that you all will know that you can be crafty without spending a million bucks.

Also, some easy ways to save money on crafts are to not wait till you have a project to do until you buy materials and supplies. For example I replace my crayons every year right during "back to school" time. I choose this time because Walmart sells crayola crayons (the only brand I'll use) for TWENTY CENTS! They have similar deals on markers, water colors, color pencils, etc etc etc. I end up spending $10 at Walmart where I would have spent $40 any other time of the year.
I also try to use coupons as much as possible. If you sign up online for the JoAnn Fabrics mailing list they will send you coupons in the mail. Lots of times these coupons are for 50% off of one item. Fabric, however much you buy, is considered one item. This means I can get more for my money. I always wait to reupholter things till I have one of these coupons in hand. Likewise everytime you shop at Michael's they print a coupon on your receipt for 40% off of any one item. These saving really add up, especially when you craft as much as I do. By slowly buying on sale items I have really built up my craft arsenal. Sure, I sometimes splurge on an expensive item, but for the most part I keep my costs low.

So stay tuned in for later on this week when I give a tutorial on re purposing sheets.

1 comment:

  1. Tina, I work in Res Life. I don't think I could survive without craft stores! So I wasn't the Becky that made the comment. I will say that I am inspired to be more crafty with my home projects because of your blog!

    ReplyDelete