Monday, June 1, 2009

My Weekend in Texas...

Texas Weekend
I know I have been awful about posting recently but I have good reason.
I have spent 2 weekends away in a row. First the Outer Banks, then Texas.
Here are some pictures of my weekend in Texas. More to be posted on facebook soon.
This is the pic I took with my phone to send to Whitham. I wanted to taunt him as I was spending the day on a golf course.


This is the golf cart that I spent Saturday riding around in. Gotta love country club perks.
This is the condo I stayed in. My mom and dad own a timeshare, but are in the process of buying their own place on the lake. It was really nice for a weekend getaway.


It was a great weekend all around. My baby sister graduated from high school and she is all set to go to college in the fall. I definitely shed some tears at her graduation.
I also realized that although I often miss my family you kind of become used to not seeing people that you love. In college I went home quite, maybe once every 2 months. After college, when I was living in Austin I was home almost every weekend. It was a big shock to my parents when I told them I had been offered a job in DC. They were really supportive though. They bought my plane ticket to DC and were behind me 100%. They also thought that I was only leaving for a year or 2. This past February makes 3 years I have lived in DC. I have to say that I can't see myself leaving anytime soon. Sometimes I think about it (mostly driven by the housing market in Texas) but I have really built a life here. Good job, friends, boyfriend, etc. It's funny that someplace so un-Texas can be my home.
Around Town
Jameson Bartender's Ball
Rock and Roll Hotel
1353 H Street NE
8pm-
$20 at the door
From the Foodie in Me
Sour Cream Cookies (Recipe from Rachel Crosby)
Cream together 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup Crisco. Add 2 well beaten eggs, 1 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 to 1 tsp nutmeg. Gradually mix in about 6 cups of flour (enough to make the dough roll out). Cut with a cookie cutter and sprinkle with sugar (regular white), if not frosting them. Bake in moderate oven.
Grinds My Gears
My mom.
This isnt a normal "mom" rant. This one is specific. This one is in relation to her hoarding items.
My mom has an entire kitchen and china cabinet full of items. Tons of stuff, cast iron skillets, pots and pans, smoked Crystal punch bowls, etc etc etc. She uses NONE OF IT. I don't think my mom has cooked at home since she opened her restaurant 9 years ago. All these stacks of things are just sitting there collecting dust.
I was home this past weekend and tried to make off with the smoked crystal punch bowl.
It's my favorite. It's from the 70's at least. She's had it as long as I have been alive and she has never used it. She argued that she used it twice, I was just too young to remember. Let me recap. In the past TWENTY SIX years she has used this item TWICE. Yet she won't let me take it. It drives me mad. I'm still planning on taking it at some point. In the meantime I snatched her gold drop pearl earrings... after all, she wasn't using those either... :)
Weird Personal Fact of the Day
I eat a bowl of cereal every night before I go to bed.
Free Stuff
So those of us who have lived here awhile all remember ytic.com.
they basically gave away movie screenings, unfortunately the site is no longer up.
however I was just informed of a new site http://www.filmmetro.com . They give away movie screenings in DC/MD/VA. The only thing is they are "sold out" quickly so you need to check often. But it's free tickets, so you can't beat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment