Thursday, June 4, 2009

Furloughs Continued...

So we had a big staff meeting about furloughs yesterday. Ive decided to take my time off the weeks leading up to Labor Day. So I will have no work from August 22-September 7th. For those of you counting that is 17 days off. I think I'm going to try to plan it so that I return to boston on Saturday the 5th in time for Anne's wedding on the 6th, and I'll drive back down to DC with Tamsin. I might take the 21st off as well so I can travel that day. If I plan this all right I can have 13 days in Spain then come to Boston and rest a day, go to Anne's wedding, and travel back to DC the following day. It will be hectic, but I think I can do it. I'm really excited about it.

First thing is first. I have to book that ticket.



From the Foodie in Me

I really enjoy baking, and making cakes look spectacular. However I do not enjoy the taste of fondant.
I found a really good fondant recipe online. It's still not as good as normal frosting, but it's at least edible.


1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
2 pounds confectioners' sugar


In a large bowl, stir together the shortening and corn syrup. Mix in the salt and vanilla flavoring, then gradually mix in the confectioners' sugar until it is a stiff dough. Knead by hand. If the dough is sticky, knead in more confectioners' sugar until it is smooth. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
To use, roll out on a clean surface that has been dusted with confectioners' sugar until it is 1/8 inch thick or thinner if you can. Drape over frosted and chilled cakes and smooth the sides down, or cut into strips to make bows and other decorations.

Weird Personal Fact of the Day

I am super craftsy. I dont know how many ppl know that. I'm thinking about starting a second blog just for crafts. Right now I'm stockpiling my ideas to see how many I actually have, and can execute.


Grinds My Gears

Hippies. Dirty Dirty Hippies.

New Home?

I'm thinking about moving soon. I do love living alone, but I think i would like a house more. Plus, I'm in the mood to stir things up. I've lived in my current apartment for 3 years, I feel like it's time to shake things up. If I do move the first thing I am doing is planting a garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment