Thursday, May 7, 2009

This One Goes Out to Annie...

She specifically asked me to update. So here I am, updating.

Around Town

DUDE FEST - (I'm looking for takers to go with me to this.)

The Big Lebowski Movie & Music Night!"Dude Fest" - The Big Lebowski Movie & Music Night - Thursday, May 7th - 7:30PM (Doors Open 7:00PM)Prior to the feature presentation of the Big Lebowski, enjoy the live musical performance as the band covers multiple songs from The Big Lebowski soundtrack as well as other songs "The Dude" would love. Both our Mongtomery and Arlington Location will be hosting the festival on the same night - so be sure to pick the location of your choice. The Dude: "Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not 'Mr. Lebowski'. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing." We encourage you to come dressed as your favorite character from the movie. Everyone who dressed as a character from the movie - gets a free movie pass for your next visit to the Arlington Cinema N Drafthouse.Schedule:7:00PM - Doors Open7:30PM - Live Music (featuring songs from The Big Lebowski soundtrack and other songs "The Dude" would love)8:40PM - Trivia, Bowling & Best Costume Awards 9:00PM - Feature Presentation: The Big Lebowski

Rosslyn Movie Festival
Friday May 8th
Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

The event is free and open to the public. The screening is just two blocks from the Rosslyn Metro and parking is available across the street from Gateway Park at the Atlantic Parking Garage for $3 at 1901 and 1911 N. Ft. Myer Drive after 6 pm. Enter the garage on N. Moore Street.

From the Foodie in Me

Cake Balls
1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix (or use the recipe for chocolate cake from the other day)
1 (16 ounce) container prepared chocolate frosting
1 (3 ounce) bar chocolate flavored confectioners coating

Prepare the cake mix according to package directions using any of the recommended pan sizes. When cake is done, crumble while warm into a large bowl, and stir in the frosting until well blended. Melt chocolate coating in a glass bowl in the microwave, or in a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Use a melon baller or small scoop to form balls of the chocolate cake mixture. Dip the balls in chocolate using a toothpick or fork to hold them. Place on waxed paper to set.

They are mini bites of deliciousness. PERFECT for parties.

Grinds My Gears

The realty companies in the outer banks. Almost none of them want to rent partial weeks until the Monday before the weekend. That means, the 18th, when the vacation starts the 24th. I think that's ridiculous. I mean, I know they want to rent full weeks, and that's what they are holding out for. But at this point, we are 2 weeks out. Do they really think they are going to fill all these properties in a 2 week time span? In the meantime they are missing out on money.

My Addiction To...

Cowboy Mouth.

OMG, I'm in love with them! They are so freaking awesome live. I think their music is good, but really the attraction is seeing them in concert. So far, I've seen REK, Journey, Def Leopard, Cowboy Mouth, Cheap Trick, Heart, Better than Ezra, and Bon Jovi in concert. Cowboy Mouth kicks everyone else's ass, by far. The lead drummer is just so damned entertaining. He really gets the crowd involved. They are coming to the 9:30 Club on June 13th. Tickets are $25 and they always sell out. I encourage everyone to see them at least once. You'll be hooked.

TV/Movies/Books

Scrubs

Last night was the season (possibly series) finale of scrubs. Gotta say, I'm disappointed. Elliot and JD are SUPPOSED to get married. UGH. Apparently there is this study though, that says series do better in syndication is the series finale doesn't end in a marriage. But where is the fan loyalty in that. I have followed this series for 9 years, and 2 stations, I feel like they should just give me what I want. It's Gilmore Girls all over again.


Annie asked if she could appear as a guest contributor on my blog... why the heck not.
Enjoy!

From the Mind of Annie:

Tina wasn't posting fast enough for me, so I'm taking over - for now, not forever. I've been thinking about starting a blog, but since Tina started hers I think I'll just sneak in here now and then and see how I like it. Seems a lot easier than doing all of the work myself. Also, I feel entitled since I have been mentioned quite often here, especially when it comes to confirming Tina's weirdness and pet peeves. So, following in her form, here goes:

Books

I'm not a big reader. I wish I were, but it seems the only books I can consume quickly are the vapid girly books that they sell at airports. You know the ones, the covers are usually that Tiffany blue/green color with something cute, pink, and illustrated on the front? Those. They turn my brain to mush, but I just love them. I do recommend the "something borrowed" series and author (another thing I'm not good at, remembering authors' names), they are fun!
I recently ordered some books that don't have Tiffany blue/green covers - and the first one I re-read was "A Separate Peace." Do you remember Gene and Finny? I loved those guys, especially Finny. The thing I remembered most from that book was that Finny wore a pink shirt - I've always loved guys that will wear a pink shirt, and I think it started with Finny. Anyway, I highly recommend re-reading it! I rediscovered some wonderful characters and realized some things about the book that were lost on my when I read it in junior high.

Around Town/Foodie
I don't really do much around here, unless it can involve my dog so - Dairy Godmother! A frozen custard shop in Del Ray, Alexandria that not only has the world's best custard, but it also has Puppy Pops for your dog! They cost a dollar, they are totally worth it, and my dog goes flippin' nuts for them. All you have to do is pull it out of the freezer and he will do ANYTHING you ask, including 'lay down' which leads to him belly scooting across the floor to get closer to the puppy pop in your hand all the while technically 'laying down.' http://www.thedairygodmother.com/ that is the website - it is a cool little shop right on Mt Vernon Ave and it is the kind of place that supports local high school teams. It feels like home, and if your dog is cute enough the owner will come outside to see him and even bring him a special squirrel-shaped dog cookie! Did I mention the custard? It is amazing, I could eat it every day and be the size of a house, but also be very happy.

Grinds My Gears
This is a dangerous category...I could say so much: the President, Congress, Maryland drivers, Comcast, school groups in/on the Metro, people who don't pick up their dogs' poop, but the winner today is (drum roll please) BRETT FAVRE!! Seriously!?!? Of all the world issues and Maryland drivers out there and I hold Brett Favre as the winner?! Yes! I have many reasons for this - first, you're old and you're not that talented. You hold the record for most completed passes and most touchdowns because you've played longer than anyone ever should. Second, you also hold the record for most interceptions (310) and you can't blame it on the receivers because you've had a billion of them over your thousand year career. Third, you are obviously an egomaniac and possibly a sociopath. anyone in their right mind would just retire already - start a quarterback camp for underprivileged youth, raise money for a foundation to fight a disease that has affected your family, move to south Florida and make some friends your own age! Ugh!! Just get out of the news already. Last night Frank and I were watching TV and a segment on Favre came on; I literally yelled until Frank changed the channel because if I hear his name or see his face one more time, I will die.

My Addiction To...
looking forward to things. Sounds silly, but I get so wrapped up into looking forward to things that I will miss other events, forget what day it is, and think that something is happening this weekend that isn't really happening for two more weekends! I'm bad at tracking days as it is, but dangle something like a long weekend at the beach in front of me and I'll forget entirely that my husband is moving away in a week in a half for 10 weeks! Luckily, I'm also looking forward to August - we have plans for a long vacation, just me and Frank and I can't wait! We also have a trip to Massachusetts and a trip to South Carolina, all in August, and I'm looking forward to all of it!

And finally, Personal Weird Fact of the Day
I can sleep like nobody's business. I went to bed last night at 8:30pm and woke up at 7:30am, only because my alarm went off. Had my alarm not gone off I could have easily slept until 10am or later. I did not run a marathon yesterday, I did not give birth, I did not work out at the gym for 5 hours, I did not even eat a Thanksgiving sized dinner complete with turkey, I'm not growing 4 inches every day, and I didn't take any sleep medicine. It is my normal state of being to be able to sleep for more than 12 hours every night. My husband tells people that "she needs more sleep than the average bear," and I don't think people understand that he is being literal - bears sleep for some hours each day as well as through most of the winter, and if left to my own ways in a world with no work and no alarm clocks, I would sleep more than that. This concerns me because some day I want to have children, and from what I hear, they don't sleep this much...bummer. (maybe Frank will let me raise bear cubs instead, that could work nicely!)

No comments:

Post a Comment