Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Shopping with Children

The Cordova household has been on lockdown recently. Ive been very closely counting my pennies these last few months, but now that things are more settled job wise I decided it was time to treat myself. I decided on 2 new dresses. One will be for my birthday, a party dress, the second will be for Easter.

I set out yesterday in search. The first store I went to, I walked into the dressing room, and there was a mom there with her 3 kids... all under the age of five. The yelling and screaming started immediately. The children were running up and down the aisle of the dressing room, kick the doors and just causing general mayhem. If it were okay to spank other people's kids... I would have.
Today I went to H&M to continue my search. A mom was there with her young son... who was eating Cheetos. The me restate... She was trying on new clothes while her sons fingers were covered in cheesy mess. Well he picked something up, got cheese fingerprints all over it, she screamed at him and spanked him. He started crying. If it were okay to spank parents... I would have.
After H&M I went to another store. Again a mom was shopping with her son. Her son started kicking her in the middle of the store. He was yelling that he hated her. She kept trying to get him under control but he was mid tantrum. If it were okay to give parental advice to strangers... I would have.
At the last store I was at I walked in and a mom walked in with her daughter at the same time I did. I was already irritated, and I figured nothing good would come of this.
About 10 minutes later I was looking thru the dress rack and I hear this voice from behind me; "Excuse me ma'am. May I please pass you?". I literally smiled as I let the little girl pass me (must have been about 3 or 4). After she passed she responded with a "thank you". Now, I'm going to look part the part where she called me ma'am and focus on the fact that it is possible to have well behave children in a store.

I know I'm not a parent. I know I have no idea how hard it must be to wrangle kids. But I do know that some behaviors shouldnt be tolerated. I know that screaming and wild kids mean it's time to cut the shopping trip short. I get very irritated with parents who cant control their kids, because that little girl proves to me that it's possible.

Okay, end of rant.

Birthday Countdown: 12 Days.

1 comment:

  1. We went out to dinner tonight and halfway thru the meal a mom and dad walk in and sit directly in the booth behind Frank's side of the table with a 2 and 4 year old. The tantrums, screaming, threats, hitting table, bumping booth, etc immediately begin. It was awful!! I def feel your pain on the first few stores and it made me smile to read about the little girl!

    ReplyDelete