Tuesday, October 20, 2009

So People Actually Read This Thing

And they get very upset when I take so long to update!



So in the life of Tina we last left off when I was quitting my job.
Since then I have actually been on a few interviews, both in person and over the phone.
I have actually been presented with a few job offers.
I have decided on one. I will be working with Chaos Solutions.
Chaos is a company that places personal assistants. Basically clients come to them and need help with a particular task, then they contract out to me.
I'm meeting with a client tomorrow during lunch. Basically I'll be planning her events. She is a lobbyist and tends to throw lots of parties, big and small and needs someone's help to coordinate.
This isn't a full time gig, but it could be the beginning of something big.
I will also be teaching cooking classes both at the Arlington adult education center, and to a few clients that I've gotten so far. I'm really excited about this as well. I think it will be a lot of fun, and it's a way for me to use my skills to make money.
Finally, I'm working on my website to create and sell hand made goods. This might coincide with my other blog http://www.craftsbytina.blogspot.com/ . Right now I am making a demo for a t-shirt quilt. I also have pillowcases, and coasters, and my next project is clutch purses. I really love making things, and if I can make a living out of it, that's really what is going to make me happy.
I know that this is a risky endeavor, but I am young. I don't have a family to support, or a husband counting on my for income. This is the time to take chances. I'm really excited to get the ball rolling on all these projects. I'm even more excited because it means that I will never have to sit in front of a computer 9-5 ever again. I couldn't be more thrilled.


Also, if you're interested in any of my services, please let me know. I do it all!


From the Foodie in Me

Some days ago I promised a look into the class I'm teaching on basic Mexican food.

I think Rice and Beans are a must for almost any dish. Growing up they were the staple side item at every meal. I will also teach how to make tacos/enchiladas and the second class will focus on a more advanced meal: guisos. Guiso is a Mexican stew. It's very yummy and very spicy.

I'll try to include a recipe on here later, but it's definitely a task for the more experienced cook.



Movies/TV/ Books



Whip It!


I'm going to warn this is not only a spoiler alert but a trip into girlyness.


I LOVED LOVED LOVED this movie. First of all I heart Ellen Page. She seems so genuine and like being a movie star isn't a big deal to her because she's the same person.
Secondly I have the HUGEST girl crush on Drew Barrymore. If I could be friends with anyone in all of Hollywood, I'd choose Drew. She was married/dated Tom Green! You know she cant get any more down to earth than that. I love all her movies too. I was really excited for her directorial debut, and I have to say, she hit it out of the park.
In this movie the main character, Bliss (Page) plays a high schooler from Bowdeen, Texas. Bowdeen is a tiny tiny town about an hour outside of Austin. One day she and a friend go to a roller derby match. She ends up trying out for the team and makes it. Her parents wouldn't approve so she hides it from them. In the end, they let her do it. The reason this movie is so different from other movies is that while she disagrees with her parents, they aren't the normal dimwitted parents of most movies. In fact she is given the advice that she is being too hard on them, and that she really is just a kid, and she can't have the perspective that they have. I love that family was stressed in the movie. I think far too often in chick flicks it's all about getting the guy. This movie was really about finding something you love, knowing that sometimes you don't get the guy, and that family really is important.
End of girlyness.

1 comment:

  1. I have a box of GPB tshirts that I have been wanting to make into a quilt for YEARS. I have finally given up and moved it off of my "to do when I have time" list and I was going to pay to have it done (www.campusquilts.com). If you're serious and get going I'd be happy to send you my business instead of some stranger. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete