Monday, July 6, 2009

Independence Day... Not Just a Movie Starring Will Smith

Happy Independence Day everyone!

I know I'm technically a few days late with this post, but I was busy celebrating my country, so the computer access was at a minimum.

Independence Weekend Recap

Thursday

That's right bitches, my holiday started on a Thursday. We had a half day from work. I met Annie and Whitham on the hill for lunch. Yummy T0rtilla Coast Lunch. Thursday night I hung out with Hugh and Steve, watched some movies, drank some beers. Low key fun.



Friday

I went to Casa Webb for some quality pool time. unfortunately it was overcast. we watch team America (fuck yeah!) and napped while we waited for the sun to come out. When it finally did we headed over to the pool. Zach, Frank, and I were brave enough to jump in the freezing cold pool. Annie opted out. Although, to be fair I only got in because I jumped in. I didn't ease myself into it. Go hard or go home! We ended the night with more drinking games followed by a viewing of The Hnagover. Seriously great movie. I ended up sleeping at Casa Webb as no one was fit to drive home.

Saturday

Yay Independence Day! After being dropped off by Mr. Webb, I took a quick nap and then headed over to Casa de Tamsin for some fried chicken and bad movies. Unfortunately the Safeway was all out of Captain, so I opted for something I haven't had in mass quantities since freshman year mardi gras. That's right. I went for the Southern Comfort. After kicking back a few cocktails, Tamsin and I headed on over to Zach's to watch the fireworks. I was a seriously amazing view. It made me try to recall where I had spent the last four Independence Days. This was my fourth one in DC. Last year I watched from a park in eastern market. Year before that I watched from gravelly point. Three years ago I watched from the top floor of the Sheraton Hotel. I will say this was the best view to date, though the Sheraton was a nice second. Zach has a great balcony and we watched the whole thing without one obstruction.

Sunday

Happy Birthday Lydia! I slept most of the day, trying to ease away my hangover, but at the end I ended up at dinner with Lydia to celebrate her birthday. It was a lovely time. we went to Malibu Grill. For those of you who don't know Malibu is a Brazilian Steak house. The served you meat sliced from skewers. It's deliciously amazing.

There is another place in DC that does this same concept with a more upscale twist, fogo de chao.

I have learned from my time at fogo that you should NEVER eat from the salad bar. You should really focus on the meats, otherwise you load up on veggies... something that is a beginners mistake. I totally ate my $30 worth in steak. Yum.

From the Foodie in Me



I have lately tried to concentrate on not overeating. This is actually a huge deal for me because I love to cook, and I love food. I recently blogged about how i found the half sandwiches at Pret A Manger and fell in love. This "From the Foodie in Me" is actually a question to all you readers. I am looking for sides. Pret does a great job with the sandwich, but I never have been a "eat one thing" kinda girl I need variety in my meal. I am trying to steer away from chips and other "bad for me foods", but I would love suggestions on items to pair with my lunch.

Books/ TV/ Movies


My Sister's Keeper

SUCH a sappy chick lit book. It was recommended to me by a good friend, but I just could never really get into it. I didn't cry, I tried to put myself in the character's places but none of them were truly identifiable for me. Maybe the movie is better... but I just can't endorse this book.

Bleh.


The DC Metro

So how about a twist ending for this blog? I am PRAISING the metro. This morning, through no fault but my own, I dropped my keys on the metro. I don't know how many of you know me, but my whole life are my keys. I have an Gamma Phi Beta leather ID holder on my keychain, in that ID holder I have:

Drivers Licence, Zipcard Key, Credit Card, NRA Range Card, Building access card, Keys to my bike lock, keys to my house, and I'm sure a few other things I am forgetting.

You can see that my whole life revolves around this keychain, needless to say I was a little freaked out when I lost it this morning. Luckily the metro station manager found my keychain and called me. This is a big deal because it is strictly against the rules for him to call people to tell them he has found their missing items. Protocol dictates that he allow the items to go to the lost and found office in Silver Spring. He just figured that I would be at a complete loss without my keys. I would like to thank this man for his sense of human decency. It just took a few minutes for him to call me, but it would have been just as easy for him to let the keys be transported to silver spring. Thank you metro guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment