Thursday, July 16, 2009

I failed miserably...

At posting a blog every day this week. I missed Wednesday. This is what happens when you blog at work and you end up having an insanely busy day.

Work Stuff

Just to give an idea of my typical work day right now, 2 out of my 3 bosses are on vacation. One is in the Vineyard, the other is in the OBX. Very preppy places to summer. That being said, you'd think that the work load would have eased up. This however isn't the case. After a good 9 months of slowly declining projects, things have finally started to pick back up. We are busier than we have been in awhile, which is a good thing, unless you're me. I'm working on three different teams right now Education, International Education, and Health care. Why the health care part is easier to handle because my boss is in the office, it also means that he can look over my shoulder and be a bit of a micro manager. The education parts have been tricky, as both of my bosses are out of the office. This basically means that I have become the only person in the education practice in the DC office. It's good because it means I get to do a lot of things I wouldn't normally do. I have a lot more client involvement. I might even finagle some travel out of it. We shall see.

Early Twenty-Something-ness

So I started this blog because turning 26 was a turning point for me. You really start to evaluate where you want to be when you're 30, and you realize you won't be in your 20's forever.
Still, I look back on my early 2o's and I smile. I think I really made the most of those 5 years.
To recap, the first two I was in college, a great college, in a great city. New Orleans was one of the best places I could have gone for school. The city truly has a soul like no other city has. It's something that sounds corny unless you have lived there, then you understand it. There is SO much to do, and I can't ever really remember being bored. I was also Greek, so basically every minute of my "free time" was filled. I also worked for the now governor, Bobby Jindal while simultaneously working as a bartender in the french quarter. I can actually tell my kids "I worked on Bourbon St. How many people can say that? After college, I moved with a friend to Austin. It was sort of a fluke move. I "knew" I wanted to work in politics, so it made sense to move to a city that was a capital city. I loved Texas, so Austin seemed like the reasonable choice. Austin ended up not working out for me. I was there for 8 months-ish. It wasn't a waste though. I made a few good friends, and I got to spend a lot of weekends with my parents. I'm really glad I had the time to do this. I now see my parents once a year, so it was nice to have some time with them before I moved 1500 miles away. Also Austin is a great city if you like to be active. It's not the best city to move to if you're fresh out of college. Everyone there is IN college, and it's hard to establish yourself as a professional when everyone your age is out drinking and has class the next morning. After Austin I on a fluke moved to DC. This was the best risk I have ever taken. I learned from this experience that you sometimes have to take big risks in order to get what you really want. I stayed on couches and with random craigslist people when I first moved here, but I figured it out. I found a great apartment, made awesome friends. I have really loved the past 3 years.
The point to my ramblings is that your 20's are the time to make mistakes and take chances. The places I've lived are evidence of this. I took chances moving to all these places, some worked out, some didn't, but they are all experiences that I have learned from. I wouldn't trade the experiences of my early 20's for anything. I had a lot of fun, and learned so much about myself. I was independent, and while sometimes I lived off ramen noodles, I really think these times have made me into the person I am today.

Movies/ TV/ Books

SPOILER ALERT!

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I need to start by saying that I am a huge fan of the HP series. I try to take the movies at face value, and realize that you cannot tell a 600 page story in 2 and a half hours. This installment was definitely one of the better ones. They really captured the spirit of the story and it was actually really accurate. My biggest problem was the end. In the end of the book there is a fight scene between The Order of the Phoenix/Dumbledores's Army and The death eaters. This fight didn't happen in the movie. Dumbledore dies, then the death eaters run away. But why were they there to begin with if not for the fight scene? I was really sad they left that out. Also there was a random scene thrown in where the Weasley's house burns down. This doesn't happen in the books, and it seemed completely unnecessary to add.
I will end by saying that Helena Bonham-Carter was the most genius casting to date.

Grinds My Gears

Jon Gosselin

Alright, I know this is celebrity gossip, but I can't help myself. This guy truly ticks me off. I realize that there is plenty of blame to go around to the dissolve of this relationship, HOWEVER I really believe that while Kate may be really harsh, Jon knew exactly what he was marrying into. Also, if he was tired of the limelight then he needed to put his foot down. He needed to demand that they stop doing the show, he needed to explain to Kate that he was truly unhappy. I realize that he doesn't have an alpha personality but that doesn't mean he is incapable of speaking up. I also can't believe he threw away a 10 year marriage on a rough couple of months without even trying to reconcile or fix it. The nail in the coffin for me was him traipsing around France with his new girlfriend AND giving People magazine an interview about her. For a guy who wanted to stay out a the limelight he sure seems to be enjoying it now. He's talking to french fashion designers and pimping out his kids to do photo shoots. This sounds like a guy who wanted to be a part time father and completely got his wish. What a low life.

No comments:

Post a Comment